The Power of Water
No other substance on Earth can match the healing properties and restorative powers of water. For untold generations, people have recognized water as a natural medicine, one that can ease the body and calm the spirit. Hydrotherapy harnesses the life-giving power of water and uses it to provide relief and comfort to those who suffer from all manner of aches and pains.
Ancient cultures in Greece, China and Japan were among the first to develop hydrotherapy, which is the practice of submerging all or parts of the body in water for medicinal purposes. The practice rose to prominence in Europe during the 18th and 19th centuries as physicians of the day studied the science of water therapy. "Water cures" were a common treatment at the time for a host of illnesses, including pneumonia, anxiety and back pain. Since then, the use of hydrotherapy has expanded greatly and is now an often prescribed treatment for a broad range of physical maladies as well as a luxurious indulgence at resorts and day spas.
Bathing is a daily necessity that is integral to maintaining one’s health and appearance. Regular bathing is good for the skin, improves circulation and can help alleviate insomnia and muscle pain. Bathing also provides a boost for the self-esteem – looking and feeling clean can go a long way towards building a positive self-image.
Given the proper circumstances, bathing can be a restorative ritual that soothes the mind and relaxes the body. Instead of a quick shower that takes care of only the essentials, imagine a restful oasis. Picture a steamy scented soaking tub with soft lighting, a good book and a plush towel nearby. Or if you prefer, an invigorating jetted whirlpool with swirls of pulsing water that knead the day’s tensions out of tired muscles. In either scenario, you emerge not just "clean" but refreshed and renewed and ready to re-enter the world.
Water has a purifying effect on the body and mind. The natural minerals found in water help to detoxify the body, while the soothing sensation of soaking in water provides a much-needed respite for the mind.
Hydrotherapy is a natural and organic form of pain relief that works its magic in two primary ways. First, the experience provides the bather with the sensation of weightlessness and significantly relieves the body of the effects of gravity. The buoyancy of water reduces body weight by 90%, easing pressure on aching joints, muscles and bones. According to the Arthritis Foundation, "Hydrotherapy is one method of using water to help treat arthritis. The soothing warmth and buoyancy of the water makes it a safe, ideal environment for relieving arthritis pain."
Secondly, the water serves as a medium for heat therapy. Soaking in warm water quiets the body and slows internal organs. Heat dilates blood vessels and increases circulation in the body, thus allowing enzymes and endorphins (the body’s natural pain relievers) to work more quickly and effectively. It also stimulates sweating and increases the elimination of toxins. In fact, a recent study by the Mayo Clinic found that a hot bath provides many of the health benefits of exercise with less strain on the heart. Soaking in a hot bath increases the heart rate while lowering one’s blood pressure rather than raising it as does exercise.
Health Benefits of Bathing
Hydrotherapy is an unparalleled method of effectively relieving pain and promoting wellness in a number of different areas, and it also plays an important role in relieving anxiety and tension.
|• Diabetes||• Scoliosis|
|• Arthritis||• Bursitis|
|• Insomnia||• Headaches and migraines|
|• Poor circulation||• Muscle and joint pain|
|• Acne||• Sports-related injuries|
|• Stress||• Asthma|
|• Depression||• Bronchitis|
|• Carpal Tunnel Syndrome||• High blood pressure|
|• Fibromyalgia||• Chronic pain|
Insomnia and Stress: The National Sleep Foundation recommends taking a warm bath a few hours before bedtime to enhance sleep quality. Unlike the use of prescription sleeping pills, hydrotherapy is an effective natural sleep aid that helps the body relax and unwind on its own, leading to a more restive sleep.
Circulatory System: The heat and massage action of hydrotherapy help blood flow more easily, thus relieving tension headaches and soothing stress-prone areas like the neck, shoulders and lower back.
Muscular and Skeletal Systems: Sore muscles, lower back pain, aching joints – all stand to benefit from the heated water massage of hydrotherapy. Such treatments are often recommended by doctors for those suffering from sports-related injuries or strains. The Arthritis Foundation also recommends hydrotherapy as a means to help those with stiff joints regain mobility and ease discomfort.
Respiratory System: The moist heat associated with hydrotherapy is often beneficial to those suffering from respiratory ailments such as bronchitis, congestion and asthma.
- Digestive and Immune Systems: Improved circulation results in a more effective digestive progress. Wastes and other toxins are more easily eliminated, and lymph is moved more efficiently through the body, strengthening the immune system.
Conditions Helped by Hydrotherapy
Types of Hydrotherapy
MTI is a recognized leader when it comes to the technology of modern hydrotherapy, offering four distinct types of hydrotherapy experience. Each is unique; each is thoroughly therapeutic. Whether you prefer the simple luxury of a soaking bath, the invigorating deep-tissue massage of a whirlpool, the light full-body thermo-air massage, or a combination of the two, MTI offers more than 150 tub styles with multiple configurations to meet your specific hydrotherapy needs.
- Soaking Bath: The most elemental form of hydrotherapy is the soaking bath, where heat and water’s natural buoyancy foster deep relaxation. All MTI soaker tubs are ergonomically designed for maximum comfort with a thick cast acrylic shell that keeps bath water warm longer. Which means a longer soak for you.
- Whirlpool: Enjoy the power of a deep, penetrating massage. This type of hydrotherapy comes from strategically placed jets that may be targeted to specific areas of the body. This system is ideal for a sports-related injury, using powerful jets that thoroughly massage muscles and help eliminate accumulated toxins. Operated by a whisper-quiet pump, MTI whirlpool systems use a mixture of air and water that adjusts from a gentle swirl to a more vigorous pulse.
- Air Bath: The blissful combination of water, heat and air movement creates an incomparable effect that is as therapeutic as it is relaxing. The movement of millions of tiny air bubbles activates the lymphatic systems, increases blood flow, stimulates endorphins and relieves sore muscles and other painful ailments. MTI offers two unique air systems: Air Massage and Air Massage Elite. Both provide a full-body massage experience via 20 air jets located in the bottom of the bathing well. Because of its gentle massage action, the air bath may be particularly well suited for the elderly.
- Whirlpool/Air Combination: Enjoy the best of both worlds with this fully adjusted hydrotherapy system. Select the light full-body massage of an air bath, the deep penetrating massage of a whirlpool or a combination of both. Great for households with family members of different ages and needs.
- Aromatherapy: Indulge your olfactory senses with aromatherapy as part of your bathing experience. This ancient therapy uses the art and science of naturally extracted aromatic essences from plants to promote wellness of the body, mind and spirit. MTI incorporates aromatherapy into the bath via a deck-mounted well that houses fragrance canisters. When the thermo-air massage system is activated, warm air blows the fragrance and captures it inside tiny air bubbles that pop and release the aroma when they reach the water’s surface. The scent fills the air, not the bath water. Aromatherapy has been shown to provide stress relief, mood enhancement and boost the immune and respiratory systems.
- Chromatherapy: Enhance your holistic experience by adding chromatherapy to your MTI bath. Light and color have been long been recognized for their effect on human biorhythms and equilibrium. MTI baths offers the option of underwater lighting via digitally controlled LEDs. Different colors are thought to have different therapeutic effects, such as blue for serenity and red for energy. Choose colors according to mood and need, or select a preset program.
- Audiotherapy: Enjoy music from a new perspective with MTI’s award-winning Stereo H2O® -- an invisible audio system that delivers amazing sound through the tub itself. You will experience music in a whole new way as you actually "feel" the music through your body as it travels through the bath water. It’s a unique way to add the healing power of music – from classical concertos to rock-and-roll – to your bathing experience.
- Thermaltherapy: There’s nothing like a nice hot bath. Now MTI keeps your bath hot longer. Its inline water heating systems maintain bath water at a comfortable 102°F so you can enjoy your bath for as long as you like. For added comfort, MTI offers its Radiance® system that brings radiant heat into the bath structure to warm your neck, shoulders and back. The heated bath shell is not only comfortable for the bather, but also helps prevent heat loss from the bath water.
The Benefits of Water and Multi-Generational Living
The oldest Baby Boomers celebrated their 65th birthdays in 2011. According to government projections, by 2030 nearly 26% of the U.S. population will be aged 65 or older, compared with just 17% today. With increasing numbers of families having more than one generation sharing a roof, it is becoming more important that homes be designed to meet the needs of different age groups.
Hydrotherapy benefits people of all ages and lifestyles, from the teen athlete who needs a watery massage for tired muscles to the elderly grandparent who finds relief in the soaking tub from troublesome arthritis. MTI offers designs for all generations, that is, bathing products that will accommodate the needs of every member of today’s multi-generational household.
Multi-generational design doesn’t mean "institutional" design– it simply means being smart and stylish at the same time. Toward this end, MTI offers a broad selection of bathroom products that will enable household members to avail themselves of the power of water to sustain, heal and renew. With MTI’s design flair, it is possible to incorporate comfort, practicality and a modern sensibility into a bathroom and at the same time accommodate every member of the family with ease and safety.